FG evacuates 1,030 stranded Nigerians from Libya in 2 days

 
The Federal Government on Monday said it evacuated 1,030 stranded Nigerian migrants from Libya between Jan. 7 and Jan 8, 2018.

Alhaji Mustapha Maihaja, the Director-General of National Emergency Management Agency, disclosed this at a joint news conference by the Federal Government delegation to Libya.

Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama, had on Jan. 5 led a delegation on a fact-finding mission to Libya to secure the release of Nigerian migrants stranded in that country.



According to The Nation,Maihaja told newsmen that the returnees were — 485 — who came back on Sunday and 545 who came back on Monday, noting that they were part of the 5,037 stranded Nigerians identified for evacuation back home.

He stated that a reception centre approved by President Muhammadu Buhari had been set up in Port Harcourt, Rivers for the returnees.

According to him, the returnees on arrival will be formally received and profiled before being transported to their various states.

He said that the reception centre was organised in such a way that the Ministry of Health provided facilities to look after those with health-related problems.

He explained that those who were critically ill were taken to University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital for treatment.

Maihaja said the delegation had 21 days to complete its operation.

GET THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS AND ENTERTAIMENT GIST DIRECTLY ON YOUR PHONE ADD 08086597033 ON WHATSAPP

Comments