Graphic photographs from the autopsy of late American rapper Tupac Shakur were shown in court during the ongoing trial of Duane “Keffe D” Davis, who is accused of orchestrating the 1996 drive-by shooting that claimed the life of the hip-hop icon.
The disturbing images were presented to jurors on Tuesday, August 18, during testimony from Dr. Lisa Gavin, a forensic pathologist and medical examiner for Clark County, Nevada.
Some members of Shakur’s family reportedly left the courtroom before the photographs were displayed, while others remained to hear details about the rapper’s final moments.
Davis, 63, is facing a murder charge in connection with Shakur’s death. If convicted of murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang, he could face life imprisonment.
He has pleaded not guilty.
During opening arguments, Davis’ lawyer, Michael Sanft, described the prosecution’s case as “fiction.” The defence also questioned why Davis had not been charged earlier despite comments he allegedly made about his involvement in interviews and in his memoir.
Gavin told the court that Shakur sustained multiple gunshot wounds during the September 1996 attack in Las Vegas.
According to her testimony, three bullets struck the rapper, with one passing through his chest and lung. The injury caused his lung to collapse and resulted in significant bleeding. Doctors later removed the damaged lung while attempting to save his life.
Other gunshot wounds damaged Shakur’s intestines and other parts of his body.
Jurors were shown photographs depicting Shakur’s body with multiple chest wounds, as well as medical equipment that remained in place following the six days he spent in hospital before his death.
The images were not shown on the courtroom’s video feed.
Gavin was not the medical examiner who conducted Shakur’s autopsy nearly three decades ago. She was called as an expert witness because the original examiner has since died.
As the photographs were displayed and explained in court, some relatives reportedly looked away. One woman left the courtroom after the images were shown.
Shakur’s cousin, Zayd Akinyela, however, chose to remain in court, saying he wanted to understand more about what happened to his relative.
Speaking outside the courtroom, Akinyela said learning the details could help him process the loss, noting that Shakur’s family had waited nearly 30 years for answers.
He also said he had not previously known the full extent of the rapper’s injuries.
The courtroom was reportedly quiet as jurors examined the photographs, while Davis remained seated and occasionally spoke quietly with his lawyer.
Akinyela described the experience as deeply emotional, saying the photographs left him feeling angry and sad. However, he added that his spiritual beliefs helped him cope with seeing the images.
The trial continues as prosecutors seek to establish Davis’ alleged role in the events that led to Shakur’s death, while the defence maintains that the prosecution’s account is unsubstantiated.




