Zambia Ex-Minister Killed During Security Raid on Opposition Leader’s Home




A former Zambian cabinet minister, Mutotwe Kafwaya, has been shot dead during a security operation at the residence of the country’s main opposition leader following last week’s presidential election.

Kafwaya, 49, was reportedly fatally wounded during what police described as an exchange of gunfire between security forces and unidentified individuals in Lusaka on Friday.

According to the police, a joint security task force carried out the operation at the home of opposition leader Mundubile, with 11 people arrested during the raid.

Authorities accused Mundubile’s party, the NRPUP, of involvement in alleged insurgency and militia activities, as well as the storage of high-grade weapons.

Mundubile, who has reportedly gone into hiding, rejected the allegations as “total fabrications.”

Police said security operatives encountered gunfire and resistance during the operation, prompting them to return fire. One unidentified man was subsequently found fatally wounded, with a firearm recovered from the scene.

The police later confirmed that family members had identified the deceased as Kafwaya.

Mundubile had earlier said he had been unable to establish Kafwaya’s whereabouts after learning that he had been shot during the raid, which reportedly took place at his residence.

Kafwaya first became a member of Zambia’s Parliament in 2016. He was appointed Minister of Works by then-President Edgar Lungu in 2018 before being moved to the Transport Ministry the following year.

He remained in government until 2021, when Lungu lost the presidential election to incumbent President Hakainde Hichilema. Kafwaya subsequently continued his political career as an opposition member of parliament.

The incident comes amid political tension following Zambia’s latest presidential election. Official results declared Hichilema the winner with about 60 per cent of the vote, while Mundubile finished second with approximately 38 per cent.

Mundubile has rejected the election outcome and indicated that he would challenge the results in court, alleging irregularities in the tallying process.

The election was described by regional and international observers as largely peaceful on polling day, although concerns were raised over restrictions on opposition parties, media freedom and access to the media during the campaign.

The European Union election observation mission said restrictions placed on opposition parties contributed to what it described as an “uneven contest.”

The EU observers also raised concerns about the vote-tabulation process, saying it deteriorated after counting resumed following a six-hour suspension.

The electoral commission had halted the process over reported violence against its staff and allegations of ballot-box theft.

The EU mission further reported weaknesses in the recording and verification of results at several centres, including delays in completing tally sheets and difficulties reconciling digital entries with physical records.

The latest development has heightened concerns over political tensions in the country as the opposition prepares to challenge the election results and authorities continue investigations into alleged security threats.

*

إرسال تعليق (0)
أحدث أقدم